Studies have proven time and time again that the human body needs proper humidification for overall health and wellbeing.
“A humidifier can provide relief from the effects of dry winter air and soothe irritated nasal and respiratory passages.” – Mayo Clinic Staff
Adding humidity to the air you breathe can increase the indoor air quality of your home or office and combat the negative effects of dry air and dehydration while enabling the body’s immune system to better defend itself against harmful germs.
“Most people spend well over 90% of their time indoors. In which case, indoor air is going to impact our health far more than outdoor air.”
Dry Air is one of the major causes of respiratory infections, nose bleeds and repeated episodes of winter colds. A lack of moisture can prevent your body’s immune system from repelling infection causing germs, and can actually promote the growth of some bacteria, viruses, and respiratory irritants.
Studies also show that pneumococcus, staphylococcus, and streptococcus bacteria die up to 20 times faster at a relative humidity between 45% and 55%, than above 70% or below 20%.
Dehydration is another ailment of low moisture levels and can also cause negative health effects.
Symptoms of dehydration include:
- dry skin
- chronic joint and muscle pain
- raspy throat
- sinus and nasal pain
- sore eyes
- a lack of mental concentration
- a decrease in the body’s immune system
Within the last 50 years researches have also discovered that along with humidification, air purification (negative ion dispersal) can greatly benefit the overall health and well being of an individual.
“Research shows negative ions help regulate brain serotonin. The brain’s serotonin neurotransmitter system has been associated with a variety of psychiatric disorders including: depression, anxiety, anti-social personality disorder, even alcohol & drug dependency!
Negative ion therapy has also been used successfully to combat SAD (seasonal adaptive disorder). The highest negative ion levels you will find in nature are near strong waterfalls, such as Niagara Falls, where the negative ion concentration is around 100,000 per cubic centimeter making it a powerful natural ionic air cleaner.”
Local humidification (small units placed near where you sit or sleep that direct humidity into your breathing zone) has also been found to be more effective than increasing the humidity in an entire area when treating cold and flu symptoms.
How Humidity Effects You and Your Property.
Proper humidification allows you to maintain a comfortable living environment, while protecting your investments, and eliminating static shock.
- Conditioning the amount of moisture in the air is necessary to maintain comfort. Optimal comfort is considered to be achieved at 45-65% humidity. Most homes heated to 73 degrees can have a relative humidity approaching 15%. In comparison, the typical humidity in the Sahara Desert is 25%!
- Allergens, dust particles, and cigarette smoke can contaminate the air we breath causing an increase in allergies and respiratory irritations. Effectively purifying the air can significantly decrease these effects. The SonicAire provides humidification with the benefits of air purification.
- Dry air causes plants to droop, furniture joints to loosen, moldings to shrink, and wallpaper to loosen due to the loss of moisture. It can cause warping and splitting of furniture, woodwork and hardwood floors.
- Specific humidity control is vital to protecting your health and your investments. The Honeywell TrueSteam allows you to set specific humidity levels to control the amount of umidity around you. Not all humidifiers on the market today allow you to set and control specific humidity levels.
- Static electricity is a direct result of dry air. Humidifiers minimize static electricity that causes havoc with electronic equipment, especially expensive computer equipment, and causes static “shocks.” The following are the ideal relative humidity levels for different situations:
- The combination of an ultrasonic humidifier with a built-in air purifier gives you the benefits of humidification and air purification at a fraction of the cost of buying either unit separately! The Aprilaire Humidifier combines these benefits saving you money!
- Using a humidifier can improve your skin – especially when used at night when dehydration of the skin occurs. A humidifier provides moisture which keeps the skin soft and supple.
- Using a humidifier can help lower heating bills. When the air around you is dry, moisture is drawn from your skin which removes heat from your body. With properly humidified air, your body retains its moisture.
|The most comfortable relative
humidity for the human body
|Ideal relative humidity for
prophylactic and curative purposes
|Computer and telecom
|Furniture and musical
|Libraries (books), art
galleries and museums
The Honeywell TrueSteam can be programmed to maintain these ideal levels providing comfort for every situation.
Humidity and Your Overall Well Being.
Maintaining the indoor air quality of your home can increase your overall well-being and happiness.